About Dual Master Degree in Connected Devices
"Bringing together top learners, teachers and technology talents from across the world, GIX will power innovation through an ambitious new model of project-based collaborative education."
— Prof.SHI, Dean of Tsinghua GIX
We are looking for graduate innovators who can:
Identify addressable global needs
Apply appropriate development strategies
Pitch value to funders and sponsors
Launch products and start-ups
Exponential growth in connected devices is expected over the next decade, as it is at the core of the rapidly developing domains of Internet of Things, Ubiquitous Computing, Wearable Computing, and Smart Devices, resulting in tremendous social and economic value. To invent new application and develop the expanding market requires leaders with an array of technological, prototyping, design and entrepreneurial skills. Connected Devices is the first program of GIX.
2-year Dual Master Degree —— qualified graduates will be awarded Master of Science in Engineering (Data Science and Information Technology or MSE(DSIT) from Tsinghua University and Master of Science in Technology Innovation (MSTI) from the University of Washington.
Project-based Learning Model
Through the GIX project-based learning and team-work model, students will collaborate on solutions to a range of global challenges and business needs.
Learn to innovate
Through intensive courses in design thinking, technology development and entrepreneurship, GIX teaches the skills needed to take an innovation from concept to development and on to launch.
Lead new ventures
GIX graduates will have acquired the technical expertise, design thinking skills and business knowledge to launch their own startup, join a new venture team at a leading company or nonprofit, or advance their academic pursuits.
Why Choose GIX Dual Master Degree
Acceptance into GIX Dual Master Degree represents an opportunity to gain experience in two of the world's most important and rising economies. China is currently the second largest economy in the world and growing at a fast rate. The global technology sector relies heavily on doing business with China and this trend is forecasted to continue to grow.
The GIX program at Tsinghua University and the University of Washington represents the opportunity for young technologists to gain first hand knowledge and experience through China's most prestigious university. Tsinghua University is not only the top university in China, it also has a long history of producing leaders of China. Studying at Tsinghua is a chance to network with the future leaders of Chinese industry, government and higher education. The alumni of Tsinghua include two Chinese presidents, policy makers, and numerous top business leaders and investors. The chance to study at Tsinghua is about more than just a Master's Degree; it is the golden key to China and your future.
Significant scholarship is provided to outstanding applicants.
2-year program to earn 2 master degrees
The first 15 months in the greater Seattle area and the rest will be in Beijing.
Application Deadline: Jan 21th, 2019
Program Start: Autumn 2019
Format: Full time; Project-based, working in teams.
Duration: 2 academic years
Who Should Apply
The GIX program is designed for recent graduates and early career professionals. All applicants must have a bachelor's degree in engineering and computer programming proficiency. We're seeking a diverse cohort with a clear capacity for innovative thinking, creative problem solving and collaboration.
1. Resume or curriculum vitae in English；
2. Personal Statement (up to 800 words), describe why you want to apply for the Dual Master Degree, your professional interests and value (including study, internship and research etc.) and future career plan；
3. Copies of official transcripts or academic records for every post-secondary university or college attended. If your institution provides a cumulative grade point average and/or a class rank for your degree, you MUST include it in this section；
4. A short video of no more than two minutes, demonstrating your creativity in a form that might otherwise be difficult to articulate on paper;
5. Two letters of recommendation；
6. TOEFL score (for students whose native language is not English). At least 100 on the TOEFL iBT, along with a Speaking score of at least 26. Scores should be within two years at the application deadline；
7. Additional materials that demonstrate qualifications and experiences (e.g. published papers, patents, or portfolios).
8. As the Dual Master Degree contains both Tsinghua University and the University of Washington parts, you need to apply through both http://yz.tsinghua.edu.cn and www.techinnovationdegree.uw.edu/admissions/ to complete your application.